Blue Apron

Guess what?? I finally finished the apron I’ve been meaning to make for ages!

Garment Data:
– Type: 1860s-style apron
– Date made: spring 2014
– Pattern: Elizabeth Stewart Clark’s apron pattern
– Fabric/Materials: blue plaid 100% cotton “homespun” from JoAnn’s – so, nothing fancy, and it has a “dishrag” soft texture
– Trim: none
– Time to finish: a few days of on-and-off work

This apron has only 1 machine-sewn seam. I did the rest by hand. This allowed me to do it as a portable project.
I also left the sides unhemmed, since they are the selvages.

The bottom hem. This is the only machine-seam I did – when I thought I’d have enough time to just sit down and whip the thing together! Turns out I had better luck (and, most assuredly, a better result) by doing it as handwork on the go.

A close-up of the machine hem. Hard to see, because I was being my usual self with plaids/stripes and was matching them! Actually, the machine-sewn hem is the least-accurately plaid-matched seam. You’ll actually find plaid-matching through-out this piece, which means that even the pockets are fairly stealth!

The stealth pockets, pinned in place, for location (i.e., lining up the stripes). I then actually hemmed the pockets separately and then stitched them onto the front of the apron.
Since this was an apron I really wanted to wear soon, I actually end up wearing the apron at the Memorial Day reenactment in Painesville, and pinning and sewing the pockets while wearing it!

The pinner, pre-attachement. I attached it so I can easily fold it down behind the apron and wear it as though there is no pinner. Versatility! And yes, when I wear the apron, the pinner (the bib part of the apron) is actually pinned up to my dress, instead of having a loop around my neck or some-such.

Waistband, pinned and pre-sewing. The pleating of the apron is encased in the waistband, and then beyond the apron, the waistband turns into ties like in this picture.
The apron! No pockets or pinner (bib) yet in this picture.

A close-up of the pleated apron encased in the waistband. Note the second row of stabilizing stitching, so the pleating remains crisp and visible in what is otherwise a very floppy fabric (but great for wiping hands on).

… And below, the apron in action, with the pinner (bib) pinned up, and the pockets sewn on! It’s very long, so it protects my dress well, and I really like how it turned out!
Things to change next time I make this pattern: maybe try a crisp cotton, or make it (just very very slightly) shorter. And make the ties way longer!! There is a short little bow in the back but long ties would be much easier. Let’s be honest: I just want an excuse to have another apron or three in other prints!
(This picture taken at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio.)

Most sincerely yours,
~ Sarah

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *