A Stocking for Pookie

(Topic: Knitting)

Hi Friends!

Recently I realized that, as Pookie has been more and more a member of our family in his own right (Who is Pookie? click here), and with the holiday season upon us, that he might need a stocking of his own!

I have successfully made two things with heels – which is not to say that the items or the heels were particularly successful, just that they are heels! But I had not up to this point actually made a sock with a turned heel using any specific method.

The first turned heel, made up as I went along (i.e. figuring out what reductions and additions made sense). Problem was, it was a non-stretchy choice of stitches in non-stretchy cotton – totally unworkable as an actual sock.
Charlie’s stocking, my other heel: shaped flat, then seamed.

I mentioned to the ladies at my local yarn shop that I wanted to do a stocking but didn’t know how to turn a heel. They told me to bring yarn, and they would help! So the next day I went there and got started with a light blue yarn that matches Pookie’s fur.

Turkish cast-on, halfway through a Fliegel heel.

It went well and turned out fine, I just didn’t love it for several reasons: The yarn didn’t end up being one I liked, the stocking ended up really floppy (mostly due to the yarn), and the stocking ended up way bigger than I wanted it to be.

Picture with Pook, for size comparison!

Since I wasn’t happy with it, I decided to cast on a new one, now that I knew how to do magic loop, Turkish toe, and a Fliegel heel!

I found a dark blue (with teal leanings) that I liked, and cast on a very small start. I actually could have done a bigger toe and not made it so pointy – oh well!

I also had been watching the ladies at the yarn shop do Fair Isle color work, and really wanted to get in on that game! I picked a coordinating brown/fawn color in the same yarn type. I’ve not done much color work before.

Liking it so far!

Nearly done with the heel. Unlike a normal sock, where the toe and heel have to be at right angles to fit a human foot, I decided that having the toe vertical actually would hang better on a mantelpiece.

Binding off. The P was tricky, and my tension wasn’t perfect, but I love the result.

Added a crocheted loop to hang it by.

Ta Da! I love how it turned out!

The full spread.

Pookie with his new stocking and stocking holder! He’s pretty pleased.

This was a super fun project! Thanks so much to the ladies at Farmhouse Yarn for all the help.

Yours,

Sarah

To subscribe, find the “subscribe by email” note in the left column and enter your email there. Posts will be emailed directly to you whenever I post them!

Resource list: Visit my spreadsheet at www.tinyurl.com/infantloss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.